Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Birthday Mouse

Monday, July 12, 2010. Today was Sam's 4th annual birthday extravaganza (warning: post may contain peanuts). I took the day off from work so that we could party hardy and truly make it an extravaganza and not just a regular ole ganza. Here's the downlow on how we got down.

1) Let Nut sleep in. He's not a morning Nut, and I often have to wake him up for school. (Whereas Beeju begs to let him set his alarm earlier and earlier so he can do his routine...work out, get dressed, eat, brush teeth, etc, etc.) So letting Peanut sleep in on his birthday only seemed right.

2) Breakfast from
Shipley Donuts on a special Toy Story tablecloth. The Toy Story "zealots" always make Sammy laugh, and I'd go to any length to hear that sound.

3)
Houston Zoo. A day at the Houston Zoo in July means sweating off the donut breakfast we had (plus some), but that's not such a bad thing, is it? And we still had a blast despite the heat. Today's visit was also unique, because the boys got to meet and pet several animals that we haven't seen before, including a python, a pancake tortoise (aptly named "IHOP") and a baby alligator (all 3 shown below).

4) Lunch at our favorite place -
Jamba Juice. There's just nothing like an Orange Dream Machine after a morning in the sun. Or an afternoon in the sun. Or a day inside at work. Or a wintry Chicago day shoveling snow. Ok, basically I'm not picky...just give me my ODM. And the boys were cut from the same cloth, so it works out well.

5) Back home to catch our breath and watch
Cars, a longtime favorite movie of Mr. Nut.

6) Dinner at
Chick-fil-a. We were surprised to walk in and find Spiderman waiting for us in the lobby. The boys have never even seen a Spiderman movie or cartoon, but they were still super excited. Spiderman was kind enough to take pictures and talk to "Phineas" and "Jerry" to their little hearts' content. And on the way out, he let the birthday mouse climb up on his shoulder for a pic (see below). After she got off work, Amy joined us here for the rest of the evening.

7) Birthday cupcakes at
Cupcake Cafe. If you live in the area and haven't tried it, put it on your list. Good stuff.

8) Presents and games at
Chuck E. Cheese. This was the culmination of the extravaganza. It was really fun to have a birthday party with just the four of us - without the normal worry and stress of putting on a larger party. We gave Jerry various options, including ones with friends and stuff at the pool, etc. But he opted for the family trip to CEC. He should be a party planner, because we had a great time.

It was definitely one rockin' birthday celebration. I wouldn't trade anything about the day. I was in heaven getting to spend the day with my boys. And I'm so glad I got to spend the time with my little Birthday Mouse. Can't wait for him to turn 5 so we can do it all again. Happy birthday, Peanut! For some people, variety is the spice of life. You, my young Jerry, are all the spice I'll ever need. You make my life so rich and wonderful and amazing. I love you!





There's just something that gets me when I see a pic of one of my boys looking at the other. It's usually Peanut looking at his big brother. I love it so much.




Doing their monkey impersonations.







Aside from the cute pic of the boys with Spiderman, I love this shot because it's so Nutty...he loves to grab a handful of straws every time we go to Chick-fil-a for some reason. He doesn't do it at McDonald's or elsewhere. It just seems to be his CFA routine. I love those little details about each individual boy.





This pic and the one below just scream "grandpa" to me. His faces just crack me up.



Classic Nut.











Hugs from Beeju and a thank you from Nut after Jerry opened Noah's present.



Where we spent the majority of our night.
Hoop, there it is.

3 comments:

Richmond Stake Day of Service said...

What a lucky little man! 'Sounds like you partied like it was 1999. The birthday recap almost makes me wish I was your kid.

Tanya said...

Is that the Agent P that transforms back to Perry? We totally have that...Daylan couldn't resist making the girls get it when he found it at Target.

Pops Stargell said...

Joy - you'd be more than welcome as a Simiskey kid. Just be aware that basically all we eat is peanut butter and honey sandwiches and Jamba Juice. Works for us, but I know you have a much, much more sophisticated appetite.

Tanya - yup, that's the one. The boys have been nuts for Phineas & Ferb for a while now, so that was a no brainer gift when I spotted it. You really should see the three of us boogie when the intro song comes on before each episode. Noah plays Phineas, I play Ferb and Nut plays Perry. Loads of fun.