Sunday, November 22, 2009

Gettin' His Float On

Thursday, November 19, 2009. Turkey Float Parade Day. Noah's school does an annual event where the kindergarten students each make a turkey float (a potato decorated like a turkey and placed onto an upside down shoebox lid with a string for pulling). At precisely 8:30a, with dozens and dozens of parents lining one of the hallways and all of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th grade students lining most of the rest of the hallways of the school, the kindergarten students begin a single-file procession through the halls with each of their individual floats. And since it just wouldn't be a parade without costumes, they each wore a vest made out of a brown paper sack and a hat made out of construction paper. Macy's aint got nothin' on this Turkey parade!

Besides getting to see Beeju happily displaying his turkey float for all to see, my favorite part of the event was how the school incorporated all of the students (non-kindergarteners too). I thought that was a really great idea. It was cool to see all of the older kids cheering on the kindergarteners and applauding as they brought the parade all the way back through the halls after the initial passby. Based on the reactions of the kindergarten classes, I think it really made them feel good. I know that Noah, for example, couldn't stop smiling. And there are few things that a Papa loves to see more than an ear-to-ear grin on his boy.

Wish I had a good shot of his turkey float. But alas, "Photographer" isn't exactly my middle name. (Incidentally, if it was, I would definitely opt to be called "Shooter" instead of Ben. I've always wanted to be Shooter. I've even got the finger-gun thing down. But I digress.) Here are pics of each of the two parade passes...dang, that kid is cute...

3 comments:

Andi Simiskey said...

Awesome! Love the idea of a turkey parade. Tell Noah we love him!

Sarah said...

It gets better Mr. McGavin. I went to Ike's vocabulary parade (don't ask) at Oakland a couple weeks ago. They had the high school drum line leading the parade up and down the hallways and those 4th graders were beaming as much as those kindergartners with their potato turkeys.

Laura said...

What a cute idea! Noah looks like he is having such a great time. I love moments like that.