Sunday, November 22, 2009

There's No Need to Fear....

I promise to put up a post or two about the boys later tonight. But first, a quickie from church today. Some of you know that I currently work with the 14- and 15-year old young men. In class today, one of them was teaching the lesson. It was all about good versus evil, built around a number of examples he was using of heroes and villains. Most of them came from the scriptures - David vs. Goliath, Jesus vs. Satan, etc - and he did a terrific job. It was very well thought-out, and he really has a good grasp of the scriptures. So keep that in mind. There were just two brief moments that made me love the lesson even more.

1) As he was listing out various hero-villain combos on the white board, in the middle of all of the scriptural examples, he included Batman vs. The Joker. He didn't elaborate or comment, and he clearly wasn't looking for a laugh. He was very serious. And really, who can argue with Batman and The Joker?

2) After he had gone over his last hero-villain example, and as he was wrapping up the lesson, he commented that not only could people be heroes but animals too (which was a good point). And then this very serious comment: "You know, like Underdog." Again, not looking for a laugh. And not getting one, by the way. Except from me. In my head. Man, I love these young men.

So in honor of our furry protagonist, a couple of my favorite Underdog lines...

"Not plane, nor bird, nor even frog,
It's just little old me, Underdog."

And from when someone would complain about the damage he caused...

"I am a hero who never fails.
I cannot be bothered with such details."

No comments: