Sunday, July 12, 2009

Yankee Doodle Dandy

I love July 4th. Aside from being a fun, relaxing holiday, I've always been very patriotic with tender feelings for this great country. I remember being a really young boy in Lake Jackson and getting quite upset that one of the banks in town was flying a U.S. flag that was tattered. So I wrote a letter to the editor of the Brazosport Facts to voice my frustration. The letter was published and within a day or two, the bank had changed out the flag for a new one.

Apart from satisfying my desire to see more respect for the flag, that taught me an important lesson about being involved in the community and voicing your opinion for good. I've never said this to anyone, but one of my great regrets is never having served in the armed forces. It's something I thought about doing many times, but I never did it. Those brave men and women are true heroes, and I wish so bad that I had the courage to do what they do day in and day out.

Another random patriotic memory that just came to mind. I was at a National Boy Scout Camp in Virginia/D.C. during a couple of weeks in the summer of 1989. One night, GHW Bush came and spoke to us and before he spoke, Lee Greenwood put on a mini live concert. Of course the highlight was him singing "God Bless the U.S.A." That song always gets me. But hearing it live just before getting a visit from the sitting president was phenomenal. Talk about getting goosebumps.

Alright, enough rambling from Grandpa Sausage. On to the pics.

"Uncle Sam" in all his glory. Sporting a hat and star-on-a-stick that he made at school for their parade and proudly wearing his firework jammies. Which is a little ironic given his feelings about fireworks (see below).

Stopping off at Buc-ee's on the way to the beach for some Independence Day rays. Pictured in between Nut and Beeju is my nephew Charlie. My brother, Stan, and his kids (including Charlie but minus Sarah) and two of James and Shelley's boys - Aaron and Daniel - filled out our party.

Nut building a sand castle with cousin Jack. That's Daniel looking on. He was nursing a foot after stepping on something in the Gulf.

Buried boy #1. It took three times as long as it should to do this because Mr. Chuckles kept dying laughing which kept breaking up the sand. Not that I minded...that laugh is so contagious and relaxing.

Buried boy #2. Sam started out enjoying the sand burying. For about 3 seconds. Then it was just a chore for him to endure. So we rushed through it as fast as possible, got him to stay there long enough to snap a pic and then he was outtie. Looks like he's sleeping here, but I think he was trying to keep the sand out of his eyes.

Beeju was TERRIFIED of the fireworks again this year. So he begged me to let him sleep in my bed. Here's the Little Man with his Monkey (partially buried), blanket and another frequent guest - someone he calls his "baby sister" (he really wants a baby sister, can you tell? Heart-breaking because I really want one for him too.). BTW, her name is "Natalie."


When big brother's excited or happy or sad, more than likely, little brother is excited or happy or sad too. So of course Nut grew terrified of the fireworks too. His entourage just included the usual suspects - Froggie and blanket.

In the time it took me to brush my teeth, Beeju was out like a light.

And when big brother is out like a light, little brother isn't far behind. I love fireworks. But I love me some cuddle time with my two boys way more. Happy 4th, boys! Happy 4th, America! God bless this great country!

4 comments:

Jenn S. said...

oh they are CUTE! We need to have a double date with the Stanworth Ladies! Looks like a super fun 4th!

Pops Stargell said...

Sounds good to me. Your girls are off the charts adorable! Wish we were a little closer so we could do play dates, etc. Say hi to Marc for me.

Karyn said...

WOw. Those two look so much alike now! (Maybe it's the haircuts?)

Laura said...

Glad you had a fun 4th with your boys.

I am also very patriotic. I love this country. I love the songs about this country. I get choked up singing them. And "God Bless the U.S.A." is one of the big chokers. I love that song! I would love to hear Lee Greenwood sing it live. That's a great memory.