Tuesday, September 22, 2009

And Miles to Go Until I Work, And Miles to Go Until I Work

So normally my 40 mile commute takes me 60-70 minutes each way. After 6 1/2 months of that, I've mostly gotten used to it. But when it took me well over an hour and a half the other day (thanks to a horrific backup on the Grand Parkway), I decided to add up some of the things that slow me down each day. Gee, you think these things have anything to do with why I can't do 40 miles any quicker than an hour?

1 railroad crossing
4 school zones
11 stop signs
35 traffic lights (almost all of which seem to have an affinity for red)

And, on rainy days, at least 50 bagillion drivers who seemingly have never, ever driven when it's wet outside. But I digress.

I'm thinking of chartering a helicopter. I wonder if the firm would approve putting a helipad on top of the building for me. Oooh, except that one of my former clients had an executive get his head lopped off by the company helicopter. Ouch. So on second thought, I'll just be sure to pack a snack and load up on some CDs for my drive in the morning.

1 comment:

Liza Jane said...

I feel for you - Liam just started at a preschool on the other side of Denver, every day. I'm loving audiobooks though and am cruising through those. Our library has a great selection of them.