Friday, September 18, 2009

Hey Pest Guy, You're Bugging Me

(This post might not make as much sense to non-Mormons, but you'll still get the point.)

So today was my quarterly pest control service. The guy came and started by doing his thing around the outer perimeter of the house, in the yard, etc. Then he came inside to do an interior treatment. I was busy working, so he just went about his business.

Out of nowhere, he appears next to me, and we have the following exchange. Keep in mind, this was not a family member or a long-time friend or anyone that I had even spoken to for more than 30 seconds. This was the pest control guy. Who I had never met. The pest control guy. A stranger.

Pest: "So...you just got divorced?"
Me: (looking up from the computer, confused) "Uh, yeah. I did."
Pest: "So you got excommunicated, huh?"
Me: (genuinely shocked) "What?!? No. What makes you think that?"
Pest: (looking at me as if he caught me in a lie) "I saw the pictures of the temple in your closet."
Me: (thinking, "this pest control appointment has gotten very bizarre, very fast") "Actually, I just barely got those pictures framed and haven't had a chance to paint and prepare the wall they're going to be on."
Pest: (again with the "lie" look) "It's cool, man. Been there, done that. I was Mormon and got divorced too."

At which point, there's silence. I grabbed a pen and signed the pest control report he had laid on the counter. He walks out the back door and then turns around and says, "hang in there bro, hang in there." And off he went with his bug sprayer.

Huh?

10 comments:

Alisha said...

OH MY GOODNESS! This guy needs a boundary check! Holy crap, I can't even believe that. I think you need a new pest control company. I know a good one if you need it.

Shel said...

Ditto to what Alisha said! That guy crossed a line. Hello, how rude was that!!

Kristie said...

WOW - All you wanted was to not have bugs!!! Not a total invasion of your life. I would let the company know that he crossed a line.

Pops Stargell said...

Alisha - who's your pest company?

It didn't really bother me, per se, because I don't even know the guy so it doesn't matter what he thinks. I just thought it was one bizarro experience.

Alisha said...

AdTech-- a friend of ours from Sugar Land owns it. His name is Nathan Wright. Super nice guy.

Laura said...

I can't believe he would say that stuff to you. That is really crossing the line. And I agree with Kristie - you should let the company know.

Andi Simiskey said...

I think it's kind of funny! He was probably trying to be nice....let you know he's been there. LOL. Although it would weird me out to have it come from some dude I don't even know. What a strange conversation.

Pops Stargell said...

More than anything, I was just confused at why he would automatically assume that I had been excommunicated. That was strange. I can't imagine even asking someone that, much less a stranger. And I would certainly never assume that someone who was divorced had also been excommunicated. But maybe that's just me.

Martin Andrews said...

I bet I know who he is! Is he from Sugar Land? What is the name of his company?

Pops Stargell said...

Company is Home Team Pest Control. Not sure what the guy's name was. I'd have to dig out the invoice.